Clinton Global Initiative University 2020
April 2020. Virtual Event
The Clinton Foundation hosted the 12th annual Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) meeting on Saturday, April 18, 2020. William Jefferson Clinton, Founder and Board Chair of the Clinton Foundation and 42nd President of the United States, and Chelsea Clinton, Vice Chair of the Clinton Foundation, brought together leading voices in government, public health, and philanthropy to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic and how everyone can work together to overcome the complex health, economic, and social issues that it presents.
The CGI U meeting was initially slated to take place at the University of Edinburgh in April 2020. In response to social distancing measures, the Clinton Foundation worked closely with Empire to swiftly transition to a virtual program that was publicly broadcasted to thousands of viewers worldwide.
Empire’s scope of work included run-of-show development, speaker advance, pre-recording sessions, technical production, broadcast, and the guest’s virtual experience.
The highly informative program consisted of opening and closing remarks by President Clinton and Chelsea Clinton, three panels, two one-on-one conversations, a town hall with President Clinton and Chelsea Clinton featuring questions from CGI U students, and virtual breakout sessions hosted on Zoom for CGI students and alumni to discuss their Commitments to Action and responses to the pandemic. Program highlights and notable speaker participants include the following:
- One-on-one conversations by President Clinton with California Governor Gavin Newsom and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo on the response to the pandemic
- Two panels moderated by Chelsea Clinton featuring:
- Devi Sridhar – Professor & Chair of Global Public Health, University of Edinburgh Medical School
- Dr. Vivek Murthy – 19th U.S. Surgeon General
- Chen Kuan – Founder and CEO, Infervision
- Ophelia Dahl – Co-Founder, Partners in Health
- Jenny A. Durkan – Mayor of Seattle
- Dr. Syra Madad – Senior Director, System-wide Special Pathogens Program, NYC Health + Hospitals
- Dr. Paul Farmer – Co-Founder, Partners in Health
- Christelle Kwizera – Founder and Managing Director, Water Access Rwanda
- Karen Bass – U.S. Representative, State of CA, 37th Congressional District, Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus
- Joaquin Castro – U.S. Representative, State of CA, 37th Congressional District, Chair of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus
- Ambassador Eric Goosby, M.D. – U.N. Special Envoy on Tuberculosis, Former U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator
Empire is a leading producer of virtual and digital events. We strive to deliver the same high production value, immersive and interactive qualities we are known for in live events to virtual audiences.
Please contact us for more information on Virtual Events and to request a copy of the Empire Virtual Events Guide.
A recording of the CGI U 2020 broadcast can be viewed here: https://events.clinton-foundation.org/cgiu2020/